Alpha Omega Omega Chapter 1950 Seated on floor (Left – Right) Sorors Corine Redd, Ada Bias, Elmira Smith, Odie Lee Ferrand, Admonia Wilson, Valree Shankle, and Eva Criner Seated on Sofa (Left – Right) Sorors LaVert Banchette-Mollet, Raye Willard*, Juanita Fisher*, and Eola Cleveland Standing (Left – Right) Sorors Constance Edwards, Carrie Taylier, Dora Baker, Hattie Horton*, Barbara Bell Williams, Delores Davenport, Cora Marion, Elouise H. Pipkin, Theobyrda Adams*, and Sadie Kerry *Alpha Omega Omega Charter Members
Charter Date: June 3, 1933
Charter Members: Ray Willard; Hattie Roberts; Theobyrda Adams; Americke Click; Juanita Fisher
In 1931 several young women residing in Beaumont, TX, who had been initiated in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., sought to establish a chapter in Beaumont. They began meeting alternately in homes and discussed matters of importance they had learned in their undergraduate chapters respectively. Two sorors from the Alpha Kappa Omega Chapter in Houston, TX met with the sorors in Beaumont. After all requirements were satisfied per the Constitution and Bylaws, they informed the Regional Director. Although the membership was small, an exception was made to set up the chapter since the size of the city afforded many possibilities. Also, there were enough members in the interest group to elect officers to carry out the business of the organization. In the Spring of 1933, six sorors from the interest group, the Soror Lois Davis, the Southen Deputy Regional Director, and three sorors from Alpha Kappa Omega chapter met at St. Paul A.M.E. Church and set up this chapter. On June 3, 1933, Alpha Omega Omega Chapter was chartered in Beaumont, TX. The following officers were elected: Basileus, Ray Willard; Grammateus, Hattie Roberts; Episteleus, Theobyrda Adams; Tamiochos, Americke Click; Ivy Leaf Reporter Juanita Fisher.
The next year Soror Addie Mae Limbrick and Soror Louise Patton were the first transfers. These seven sorors strived to make this chapter very vibrant in the city. During the early 40’s, they initiated the first probates: Jewel Cleveland, Maxine Fowler and Helen Valien. After World War II, this chapter began to grow through transfers from college graduates and Membership Intakes with others who qualified for membership. Meetings were held on the 3rd Tuesday night in the home of a soror. As the chapter grew, sorors were divided alphabetically into groups who would host chapter meetings. After the meeting, the group would socialize with a repast.The chapter participated fully in all programs set up by the Corporate administration. The programs were Fashionetta, Vocational Guidance, awarding scholarships, attending regional conferences, Boules, and Retreat Clusters.
Through their efforts, the undergraduate chapter, Zeta Beta, was established on the campus of Lamar University in 1971.
Alpha Omega Omega Chapter previously hosted two Regional Conferences. The first was at Charlton Pollard High School on Carroll Street. The second South Central Regional Conference was held at the Red Carpet Inn in 1980.